This book is all about Copywriting.
And Copywriting is selling. Whether that’s online, offline, on video, direct mail, on Facebook, or from the stage, copywriting is how you put words together to make people click, call, or pull out their wallets and buy from you.
Copywriting Secrets Book Review | This is another book that is supported by the owner of Clickfunnels, Russell Brunson.
The author of the book is Jim Edwards, who teamed up with Russell to create an amazing software called Funnel Scripts, which is the ultimate push-button solution for creating any sales copy in 3 simple steps.
Nobody is born knowing how to sell. But you can learn to sell more… A lot more.. When you discover the right words that encourage people to buy.. That’s what Copywriting Secrets Teaches you..
COPYWRITING SECRETS Book Review | What’s Inside?
This 300 Page book is compiled 31 Secrets all about writing sales copy.
Like all of the books that the CEO of Clickfunnels, Russell Brunson is a part of, this book is packed from the first page to the last with valuable information and a lot of fun infographics throughout.
A backstory to Russell Brunson and Jim Edwards as well as the psychology behind copywriting and the importance of mastering the art of it.
Secret #1: What Is Copywriting?
Sales copy is anything intended to persuade someone into taking a specific action, whether that’s the right reader, viewer, or listener.
- People love to buy, Sales copy encourages them to buy from you
- Over the years, the words may change but the intention of copywriting does not
- Hope, fears, dreams, and desire, motivate people to buy.
- Anyone can get good at sales copy… You just need to practice
Secret #2: One Mans Journey With Sales Copy
The secret of all effective advertising is not the creation of new and tricky words and pictures, it is the art of putting familiar words and pictures into new relationships.
- Nobody is born knowing how to write effective sales copy.
- Learning to write great sales copy can change your entire life.
- Read classics, Like Scientific Advertising.
- Commit to developing your skills with copywriting.
Secret #3: Without A Strong Why, People Don’t Buy.
People don’t buy without a reason why!
Effective sales copy is the art of writing your sales letters in a way that makes it seem as if you have the only solution to their problem.
There at 10 reasons people buy:
- Make Money
- Save Money
- Save Time
- Avoid Effort
- Escape Mental Or Physical Pain
- Get More Comfort
- Achieve Greater Cleanliness Or Attain A Better Overall Health
- Gain Praise
- Feel More Loved
- Increase Popularity Or Social Status
How do you use this secret? How do you use this list?
- By committing to these 10 reasons of why people buy and memorizing them
- Using as many of these as you can in your copy to “tie-down” the prospect.
- Don’t fall into the trap of always making it about making or saving money.
- Get creative in how you use these reasons… Make yourself stretch!
Secret #4: Nobody Cares About You In Your Sales Copy
People aren’t interested in anything other than themselves when it comes to intention and enticing someone to buy. The importance of them being able to resonate or feel similar to your story is stronger than the actual story itself.
- Make your sales copy all about your prospect
- Go back through and look for the words I, me, my, we, ours. When you find them, go through and change the perspective so it’s all about them and not about you.
- Prospects don’t care about you. They care about having their needs met, problems solved, fears calmed, and their desires satisfied.
Secret #5: The Most Valuable Skill You’ll Ever Learn
The next secret I’m going to cover in my Copywriting Secrets book review: Every product has a unique personality, it is your job to find it.
Why learn to Copywrite when you could just outsource it? Because it is one of the most valuable skillsets that you could acquire.
It is also one of the most expensive ones if you did hire out, which also means if you master this skill you can sell it as a service to businesses that don’t have the same skill as you!
- Develop a copywriting mindset in all that you do.
- Master your headlines first because they will make the biggest impact on your sales copy the fastest.
- Pay attention to other people’s sales copy that gets you to spend your own money, that’s good sales copy, study it!
- Never stop learning, Never stop observing, Never stop testing your sales copy.
Secret #6: The #1 Single Most Important Piece Of Sales Copy Ever!
On average, five times as many people read the headlines as the body copy.
Here are the consequences of not writing good headlines:
- You get terrible results
- You get frustrated and probably give up
- you waste a lot of time, energy, and effort in writing sales copy and sales messages that nobody ends up reading
- You are always at a disadvantage because enough of the right people never see your sales messages
Devote 50% of the time that you spend creating your sales copy to the headlines.
- Spend a lot of time working on your headlines, especially for sales copy and advertisements. It’s the #1 factor that will determine success or failure
- Never post anything online without a headline or a compelling first statement. If in doubt, use curiosity to pull people in.
- Once you have a headline that works, TEST new headlines against that one to see if you can improve the results even more.
Secret #7: It Is NEVER “One Size Fits All!”
In our online world, there are Hot, Cold, and Warm traffic sources.
You need to write your sales copy accordingly, changing depending on the audience.
- Somebody who is on your email list, or follows you on social media and knows your name is a HOT traffic source.
- Someone who is looking for the solution to a problem, but doesn’t know anything about you is a WARM traffic source.
- Someone who isn’t even aware that there is a solution to their problem but knows that they have one is a COLD traffic source
The intention behind your sales copy is the same for each traffic source, but the message that you have to convey is entirely different. This section of the book is all about identifying the differences and how to write for each one!
- Acknowledge the different audiences who can use your product or service.
- Identify those audiences and commit to putting the right messages in front of them.
- Don’t be lazy and fall into the trap of ONE SIZE FITS ALL with your sales messages!
Secret #8: Meet F.R.E.D. (Your Ideal Customer)
The art of mirroring the reader to himself and showing him how your product fits his needs.
F.R.E.D. is an acronym for Fears, Results, Expectations, and Desires.
Imagining him as an avatar or a person will give you the ability to identify with him and create the perfect sales copy that will resonate with him.
People buy what they want, not what they need, become what they want!
Are you enjoying my Copywriting Secrets Book Review? Check out another one here!
Secret #9: The Ultimate Bullet Formula
Sales copy is not written, it is built, assembled. You’re creating building blocks with structure. You’re building a city of DESIRE for your prospect to come and live in.
- Bullets are the workhorse you use to create curiosity in your copy.
- Five amazing bullets will outperform 30 good ones,
- Always include meaning in your bullets because that’s the secret sauce that makes them better than everyone else’s bullets!
Secret #10: What REALLY Sells People. (It’s Not What You Think)
When dealing with people, remember you’re dealing with creatures of emotion, not logic.
There are always 2 motives for action: Self-interest and fear.
- People buy on emotion, then justify their purchase with logic.
- The primary emotional motivations to buy are fear and desire.
- You should strive to make an emotional connection with your prospects and buyers by tying your product or service to as many different reasons why as you can.
Check Out Another One Of My Posts: The 5 Best Alternatives To Clickfunnels & A Full Cost Comparison.
Secret #11: Why Good Enough Makes You (And Keeps You) Poor!
The Enemy Of Great, Is Good.
This section of the book covers the importance of needing to split test everything.
This is a vital tool because you need to be 100% sure that everything being used in your sales messages is to the best of its ability!
So much hidden profit is right there waiting for you, just by testing a few simple things.. You can’t afford not to implement these strategies.
- If you’re not testing, start split testing immediately, everything from different colors to the text in your headlines.
- Never test more than one variable at a time.
- Test for actions like Clicks, Purchases, and Subscriptions.
- Automate your split testing, don’t do it by hand if possible. Use tools like Clickfunnels
Secret #12: Don’t Reinvent The Wheel – Great Copy Leaves Clues.
As with every other aspect in business, there is someone out there who is already having great success within the same industry that you’re in.
There is never any need to go out and forge a new path and hope that what you’re doing will work.
Reverse engineer other successful companies and model your own business like a smaller version of theirs.
- Never write sales copy without doing the proper research.
- The research will give you the intel you need to craft the perfect sales copy.
- Only a fool sits down at the keyboard and starts writing copy without warming up first!
Secret #13: It’s All About Them, Never About You
Simplicity is the ultimate form of sophistication, make it simple, memorable, inviting and fun to read!
- A confused mind will always say “No” in a sales situation.
- Keep your messages simple and direct.
- Don’t use big words and don’t make people feel stupid.
- It is never about how smart you are, it is always about how much you can help them!
Secret #14: What To Do If You Don’t Have Any Testimonials Yet
Nothing draws a crowd quite like a crowd. But what can you do when you’re brand new and don’t have a following or any reviews?
- Don’t let the lack of testimonials discourage you!
- You need proof to help them feel comfortable deciding to buy something from you!
- Proof comes in many forms, including quotes that support your sales message, statistics, or even celebrity endorsements.
- Give your product away to people in exchange for an honest testimonial or review!
Secret #15: 3 Sales Formulas That Never Fail.
If you don’t sell, the problem is in you, not the product.
Very rarely is the issue with the product you’re selling, it’s how you’re pitching that sale or who is seeing your sales message.
Finding your perfect customer is the key to selling anything for any price!
The Sales Formula: Define/ Agitate / Solve
- You Define the problem they face.
- You Agitate it, Highlight it, Make it worse
- Then you Solve it, by presenting your product or service as the ONLY SOlUTION!
This Formula Works With Every Traffic Temperature!
- This method works with Cold, Warm, And Hot Traffic!
- It strategically takes your prospects through a mental process that sets them up to buy.
Secret #16: It’s All Ice Cream, But What Flavor Should I Choose?
You can have everything that you’ve ever wanted in life, the key is helping enough people get what they want!
Whenever you’re getting ready to start writing your sales letter you might be confused about what to choose.
“What Should I Use: a video sales letter, a long sales letter, or a short sales letter? Which is the best?”
- If in doubt, start with a video sales letter. As it is easier to digest for the consumer
- In the end, test short vs. long to find the best option
- Beware of anyone who deals in absolutes when it comes to sales copy. The only way to know anything for sure is to split test.
- Avoid falling into the trap of one way, especially if you’ve gotten “good” results from it in the past!
Secret # 17: How To Write An Amazing Sales Letter, Fast
To be able to write amazing sales letters fast you need to memorize the 13 steps that are compiled to make your copywriting high converting!
The 13 Steps To High Converting Copywriting:
- Shocking Statement
- Define The Problem
- Agitate The Problem
- Present The Solution
- Use Bullets To Arouse Curiosity
- Credibility Statement About You
- Sum Up The Offer And Give Price
- Bonus And Pot Sweeteners
- Call Them To Action
The 13 steps can be used whether your sales copy is one page long or 20 pages long.
Secret #18: How To Write Killer Email Teasers, Fast.
An email list is an email that gets sent either to a single customer or a list of them. You’re able to automate this entire process now, or only write it a single time and send it out to the masses!
- 99 times out of 100 the only purpose of your email is to get a click from the right person.
- Keep it short, concise, and aimed towards getting the click.
- Grab the attention and build up curiosity throughout your email.
- Write It as if you’re emailing a friend or a colleague!
Secret #19: The Hardest Draft You’ll Ever Write!
There is never a perfect time to write copy, and the hardest draft to write will always be your first one!
- Get your first draft done as fast as you can!
- Use a swipe file or other resources to help you get it done instead of creating it from scratch!
- Once you have finished your first draft, it’s a hundred times easier to edit than it is to write it from scratch.
Secret #20: Make ‘Em More Thirsty
I’m sure you’ve heard the term, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.
Well, this section of the book breaks down the psychological aspect of this in a copywriting context and how you can avoid this problem.
You do this by telling stories through your sales letters.
The Art Of Giving Away Just Enough To Make Someone Thirsty For More, But Not So Much As To Leave Them Not Needing More!
- There is no difference between the stories you use in content marketing and in your actual sales letters and in your sales videos.
- If structured correctly, you can give away a TON of content without actually giving anything away that would prevent someone from wanting to buy from you.
- Stories make people “thirsty” and sales copy tells them where to go and how to buy a drink!
Secret #21: Love Me; Hate Me. There’s No Money In The Middle.
It’s your job to create a persona that caters to whatever it is that you’re promoting, every product has a personality and you need to be able to identify it!
Be a consistent character for people who pay attention to you!
- Love me; Hate me. There’s no money in the middle.
- Stand for something!
- Be consistent in your message, opinion, and what you stand for.
- Don’t be afraid to change direction and explain why to people if the situation requires you to do so.
Secret #22: “Oh Damn, I Got To Have That”
The number one key to selling like crazy is the promise that any profitable product makes.
Creating a profitable promise can be broken down into 4 steps:
- The Hurdle
- The Prize
- The Timing
- The Eliminator
When you use these 4 steps throughout your sales copy, you’re creating an irresistible offer while highlighting each pain point that is holding your prospect back from making a purchase.
- The promise you make will directly affect how many people buy from you.
- When you make an amazing promise and actually fulfill it, your sales will go through the roof.
- Always include each part of this formula because it hits each critical point in your prospects decision-making process.
- Never, EVER make them feel like it’s their fault they don’t have what they want yet!
Secret #23: Put Lipstick On The Pig
Nobody reads ads, people read what interests them and sometimes it happens to be an ad.
This section of the book is all about figuring out whether your copy that isn’t performing well is worth saving.
Sometimes it is less work to just start over and re-create a sales letter or video than it is trying to save one that you’ve already created.
- If your copy is not performing, try to throw some lipstick on it, go through it and make sure you haven’t missed anything.
- Test the headlines, see how it affects conversions.. If you don’t have a headline, you NEED to create one.
- Make sure your offer is very clear and your prospects don’t have any questions about what they’re getting.
- Try selling dollars to dimes to see if you can improve the performance.
Secret #24: Should I Join The Dark Side?
The dark side is all about highlighting negative thoughts or doubts that prospects are having with aspects in their lives to resonate with them.
To make you feel connected and encourage a sale.
This can be a tricky process and if done incorrectly, can be off-putting or be offensive because it could be interpreted as if you’re being negative towards your prospect.
- There’s a good way and a bad way to “go negative”
- Use negatives to get in sync with people and the conversations that they’re having inside of their heads
- Never go negative by attacking someone or a company by name. It never pays off and very often will backfire.
Secret #25: “Stealth” Closes, The Secret To Selling, Without Selling.
How do you put sales into content like info videos, articles, and stuff that’s not sales-oriented? The answer is Stealth Closes.
- People’s sales radar defenses are up all of the time.
- Stealth Closes help you fly under their defenses and get them to take actions you want them to take without even prompting them too!
- Make the commitment that you will include a Stealth Close somewhere in your free (and paid) content to drive people to your sales copy and offers.
Related Post: Dotcom Secrets Book Review & How To Get It For FREE
Secret #26: The Hired Gun
If you think it’s expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.
Jim Edwards covers the ups and downs of hiring a copywriter throughout this section of the book and what you can expect.
- Hiring someone to write sales copy for you is not a set and forget affair.
- You should audition people with smaller jobs first to find people who can do work for you and weed out the ones who can’t.
- Even if you’re planning on outsourcing or hiring out, there is still some work to be done on your part.
- You will ALWAYS only get back from a copywriter, the first draft. It will be your responsibility to tweak it and edit it.
Secret #27: The Magic Desk
The very first thing that you must realize is that you must become a ‘student of markets.’ Not copywriting, techniques, products, and not how to buy.
All of these indeed are important factors, that you’ll have to learn about overtime, but the MOST IMPORTANT thing you need to learn is What People Want To Buy!
- Better copy comes from higher levels of empathy with your customers and prospects.
- Using a guided meditation like this helps you synthesize lots of information and data through the eyes of your prospects.
- If you think it’s weird, it won’t work. If you do it with an open mind, your results could be truly life-altering.
Secret #28: The One And Only Purpose Of An Online Advertisement
The only purpose of an online advertisement is to get the right people to click on it, and the wrong person to keep on scrolling.
The 3 Steps To Creating A Successful Online Ad:
- Use an emotional grabber
- Make sure that your copy drives curiosity
- Have a very CLEAR CALL TO ACTION
Summary of this section in the book:
- The only purpose of an online ad is to get the right person to click on it.
- The majority of the time, you have to test A LOT of ads to find ones that actually work.
- Just because you find a winning ad doesn’t mean you can stop testing, even if it is performing well right now doesn’t mean it will be next week.
- Grab attention, Build Curiosity, Drive Them To Click
Secret #29: You Can’t Catch Fish Without A Hook
A hooks purpose isn’t to sell, but to induce curiosity which will pull them into the rest of your sales copy.
- A hook is basically a one-sentence story you can use to grab attention and create intense curiosity at the same time.
- Hooks are as much art as they are science.
- You can use a formula to combine different elements to create effective hooks.
Secret #30: Create Your Own Swipe File
Get yourself a collection of good ads and direct mail pieces, read them aloud, and copy them into your own handwriting.
You can also create a Google Drive file with all of the things that inspire you when it comes to sales copy, marketing, or any type of business!
- Swipe files get your sales copy juices warmed up and going, just like working out.
- A swipe file can contain anything you see that grabs your attention and works.
- Your swipe file does NOT have to be industry-specific.
- If you don’t have a swipe file, start one. If you do, use it!
Secret #31: Polish Your Sales Copy
Finish your first draft. Even if it’s written wrong, if you don’t finish your first draft you won’t be able to realize where it is flawed or what you need to fix.
- People will judge your sales copy by the format, form, grammar, spelling, and punctuation as much as they do the content.
- Get a second pair of eyes on your copy to look for errors.
- Ensure your secondary reading path makes sense. People be able to skim your sales copy and get the gist of the message that you’re trying to convey in a compelling way.
- Watch your video sales letters with the sound turned off. Would you still buy it?
COPYWRITING SECRETS BOOK REVIEW | How Can You Get A Free Copy?
Similar to all of the books that Russell Brunson has written, you can actually get any of his books for free.
You just pay a small shipping and handling fee.
And by small I mean less than you probably spent on lunch.
I got my copy shipped to me for $7.95.
It was worth every penny!