The BigCommerce Affiliate Program allows affiliates to earn a commission whenever they successfully refer new paying clients to their website. There are a lot of affiliate programs out there, so you may be wondering if this one is worth your time and energy.
The BigCommerce Affiliate Program is a great money maker. They offer the top commissions in the industry, with a 200% commission on all referrals except the enterprise referral, which pays $1500. They provide affiliates with a support team and resources to boost your profits and overall success.
This article will go over what BigCommerce is and some general information about the company.
We will then delve into the BigCommerce affiliate program, its pros and cons, and how it compares to other affiliate programs in the industry.
Related Post: BuzzSprout Affiliate Program Review
What Is BigCommerce?
BigCommerce is an eCommerce developer that provides users with an easy and effective platform to build an online store. The software allows business owners to sell their products online, ship orders, and track their inventory.
They offer over 80 themes and tons of templates, so users can design a perfect store for their business needs. Their platform can be utilized by business owners in any industry and with varying catalog sizes.
BigCommerce provides users with sales tools to make their online businesses more successful. Some of these include theme customization, checkout customization, WordPress Integration, and the ability to make their site mobile-friendly.
BigCommerce is used by up-and-coming businesses as well as well-established businesses.
In fact, big names like Ben & Jerrys, Camelbak, and Skullcandy currently use BigCommerce as their online platform.
What Makes BigCommerce So Great?
BigCommerce is known to be an amazing platform for building an online store.
Listed below are a few things that make them stand out from the competition:
- Businesses experience a 28% annual growth. According to Ipsos’s research study, businesses that use BigCommerce grow by 28% each year. This is nearly 2x more than the industry average.
- Offer an uptime of 99.99%. Your store will always be operational and ready for business. BigCommerce states on its website that its stores are even 100% operational during high traffic times, such as Cyber Week.
- ¼ less expensive than its competitors. BigCommerce costs a quarter of the price of some of its competitors, like Magento. They don’t charge any hosting, maintenance, or update related fees.
- Unmatched customer service. BigCommerce cares about its users and wants them to succeed. They do everything they can to provide their merchants with online stores that exceed their expectations. It is BigCommerce’s mission to put the customer first.
If you’d like to learn more about BigCommerce’s dedication to their customers, and overarching company values, check out the video below.
In the video, BigCommerce employees go over their commitment to their customers’ success:
What Pricing Options Does BigCommerce Offer?
BigCommerce offers three plans, including Standard, Plus, and Pro. You can pay for the plans either monthly or annually.
Annually purchasing the plan saves you money in the long run (except for the standard plan, which costs the same amount monthly and annually). In the table below, you will find the prices for each package.
The standard plan is the least expensive, yet it still offers a considerable amount of features. Some of the feature highlights include:
- A mobile app provides you with on the go access to your online store.
- 0% transaction fees meaning you won’t have to pay a fee when your customers make an electronic transaction.
- Real-time shipping quotes tell the customer exactly how much they will be charged at checkout. This increases customer satisfaction since the charges are upfront. There will never be any hidden shipping fees or unexpected charges.
- Single-page checkout allows users to fill out their information in any order at checkout. So, they could fill out their address, credit card information, or name in whichever order they choose.
The plus plan is the most popular plan BigCommerce offers. It offers more advanced features than the standard plan. Some of these include:
- Customer groups allow you to reward return customers with loyalty programs.
- Abandoned cart saver sends out emails to customers who left their cart at checkout. These emails try to persuade customers to return to their cart and make a purchase.
- A persistent cart is a feature that saves each customers’ shopping cart to their account. So, when they return to the website, their items will still be in their cart even if they shop from a different device.
- Stored credit cards allow each customers’ credit cards to be securely saved to their account. This makes the checkout process faster and easier.
The pro plan includes all of the features from the Standard and Plus plan and more. This plan offers a variety of high-level features, such as:
- Google customer reviews is a tool that provides you with customer feedback about your products and allows you to obtain customer’s ratings.
- Product filtering is a useful tool that permits customers to apply filters when searching for products to help them quickly find what they are looking for. Some possible filters include size, color, or brand.
BigCommerce also offers a fourth plan called the Enterprise plan. This plan is incredibly advanced, so customers are required to pay a custom price depending on their business needs. It includes all of the features listed above and more.
What Is the BigCommerce Affiliate Program?
The BigCommerce Affiliate Program allows individuals with an audience interested in BigCommerce’s services to become affiliates. Affiliates post advertisement campaigns on their blog, website, or newsletter to engage their audience and get them interested in BigCommerce’s services.
Affiliates receive a commission when their referrals click on their unique affiliate link and purchase one of the plans listed above. The percent commission they receive varies depending on which plan the customer purchases.
Pros of the BigCommerce Affiliate Program
Listed below are all of the amazing benefits you will receive if you become a BigCommerce affiliate:
- Top commissions in the industry: Every time you make a referral, you will receive a 200% commission other than the enterprise referral. If you make an enterprise referral, you’ll receive $1500.
- Offers commission tiers: The more people you refer to BigCommerce, the more money you can earn.
- No cap on commissions: As long as you keep making referrals, you will keep making money. No strings attached.
- No obligations or minimum sales requirements: You don’t have to make a certain amount of sales per month to remain an affiliate. This allows you to earn extra money when you have time without any added stress.
- Affiliates are provided with promotion materials: You won’t need to spend a lot of time creating banners, emails, or other content to promote BigCommerce. It’s already done for you. All you have to do is add the pre-made content to your blog, newsletter, or website.
- Each affiliate is provided with an account manager: BigCommerce’s account managers are affiliate experts who will help grow your business by providing you with strategies to expand your website’s reach and increase sales. You will be able to get one on one support with your account manager via phone or email.
- Access to an online dashboard that tracks your performance: Your affiliate dashboard tracks the number of clicks, trials, sales, and commissions you earn. You will be able to keep tabs on your earnings and are paid at the same time every month.
- Get paid daily via direct deposit: Your earnings are deposited directly into your bank account. You can receive your earnings as frequently as you’d like, even daily. However, this can vary depending on the specific terms of your agreement with BigCommerce.
- Offers a 90-day cookie: This cookie is able to track who uses your unique link to access the BigCommerce website for 90 days. When individuals use your link to go to the website and make a purchase, you earn a commission. As long as your referrals make a purchase within three months, you’ll get credit for their sale.
Cons of the Big Commerce Affiliate Program
While this program doesn’t have any real cons, there is one aspect of the program that should be improved. This is discussed in detail below.
BigCommerce’s Affiliate Webpage Leaves You With Some Questions
The landing page about their affiliate program is relatively informative. However, it is missing some important information.
For starters, it doesn’t tell you the exact commission you will make off of each sale. The website tells you that you will make a “200% commission” from each referral, which is somewhat vague.
The site also doesn’t explain the commission tiers or how much you will earn at each tier. Furthermore, they don’t explain how long it will take you to move up a tier or how much you will need to earn to advance to a new tier. The tier system seems to be a unique advantage of this program, so it would be nice to explain it to potential affiliates on the main web page.
Lastly, the website does not tell you what BigCommerce is looking for in an affiliate. There is no explicit information regarding their requirements for the affiliate’s website, which media channels an affiliate should have, or how large their audience needs to be to get approved.
Related Post: Is It Hard To Make Money With Affiliate Marketing?
Exactly How Much Commission Will I Make?
While the exact amount you will make from each sale or lead is not listed on the affiliate landing page, the rates are posted on the affiliate sign-up page.
Listed below are all of the different ways you can make money with the BigCommerce Affiliate Program and the amount of money you will earn from each sale or lead you bring to the company.
|Free Trial Sign-Up
|$0 (Flat Fee Per Item Ordered)
|$60.00 (Flat Fee per item ordered)
|$160.00 (Flat Fee per item ordered)
|$600.00 (Flat Fee per item ordered)
|$40.00 (Flat Fee per lead)
|$1,500.00 (Flat Fee per sale)
|You earn $1.50 (Flat Fee per lead)
As you can see, you can make a significant amount of money from this program. On the BigCommerce website, they proudly state that these commissions are unmatched.
Therefore, you will not be able to find any other companies in the industry with higher commission rates than BigCommerce.
How Does BigCommerce’s Affiliate Program Compare?
Listed below are three competing companies that also offer affiliate programs. We will go over the difference between BigCommerce’s affiliate program and the other companies’ as well as some similarities that the programs share.
BigCommerce vs. Shopify Affiliate Program
Shopify is a Canadian eCommerce platform that also offers an affiliate program. However, their program differs from BigCommerce in a few significant ways.
Shopify Has a Shorter Tracking Cookie
Which only lasts 30-days. So, if your referral makes a purchase after 30-days pass, you will no longer receive a commission from the sale. BigCommerce, on the other hand, tracks your referrals for 90 days, so you have a better chance of getting credit for all of your sales.
Shopify Only Pays via PayPal
With BigCommerce, affiliates have the option to be paid via direct deposit, depending on their specific agreement with the company. However, Shopify Affiliates must use PayPal to receive their payments.
While this isn’t a huge deal, getting money deposited into your bank account directly is quicker and easier than having to transfer it over from PayPal. Plus, Paypal charges additional fees that will take away some of your earnings.
Shopify Charges Up to 2% on Customer Transactions
So you’ll get charged every time a customer purchases something from your store. How much you are charged depends on the plan you subscribe to. If you have the Basic Shopify plan, its 2%, the Shopify plan its 1%, and the Advanced Shopify plan its 0.5%.
While the Shopify Affiliate Program has its downfalls, it also shares some things in common with BigCommerce’s program. Listed below are some ways in which the programs are similar:
- Both companies offer support by providing their affiliates with a manager who helps grow their business by providing them with strategies and resources to increase their sales.
- Both companies provide promotional materials, such as banners. This saves the affiliate time and energy since they don’t have to create all of their promotions from scratch. You can simply add the pre-made content to your website.
- Both companies allow you to track your performance with an online dashboard. On your dashboard, you can track your revenue, click rates, conversions, and so on.
BigCommerce vs. Squarespace Affiliate Program
Squarespace is an American company based in New York City. It is a website building software that allows customers to design their own website.
To begin, we will go over some differences between BigCommerce and Squarespace’s affiliate programs.
Squarespace’s Affiliate Webpage Is Uninformative
While BigCommerce’s web page lacks a few important details, Squarespace’s affiliate web page is incredibly uninformative. They provide little to no information about the commission rates, how long their cookie lasts, and when you will get paid.
You have to do some serious research to obtain some of this information, whereas the rest of it is not made available at all.
Squarespace Has a Shorter Cookie Duration
After doing some digging on their website, I discovered that their tracking cookie only lasts 45 days as opposed to BigCommerce’s 90-day cookie.
Next, we will look at some positive attributes that both affiliate programs share:
- Both companies have no caps on commission. As long as you drive in business and make conversions, you will continue to make a commission.
- Both companies provide you with creative content. Each company offers promotional and informative materials that you can share with your audience to keep them engaged.
BigCommerce vs. Wix Affiliate Program
Wix is an Israeli software company. They provide users with cloud-based web development services.
- Wix has a minimum sales requirement before you can get paid. Affiliates have to earn at least $300 every month to get paid. If you do not meet the $300 requirement, your earnings will stay in your account until you reach that balance. When you get to $300, you will receive an email on the 15th of the month, giving you more details about what you have to do to get paid.
- Wix requires you to send in an invoice to get paid. You have to send Wix and invoice whenever you want to get paid. While this isn’t a huge deal, it’s another task you have to add to your busy schedule.
- Wix’s cookies expire after 30 days. You only have 30 days for your referral to make a sale. After 30 days, the tracking cookie will no longer associate the sale with your account, and you won’t get credit.
- Wix’s max commission is $100 per referral. You can only earn a $100 commission by referring customers to Wix’s premium plans. With BigCommerce, you can earn higher commissions when you refer clients to their Plus, Pro, and Enterprise plans.
Both companies share some beneficial aspects in common as well. Here are some:
- Neither company has commission caps. The sky’s the limit.
- Both companies offer affiliate dashboards to track performance. Each company offers an online portal where you can track your sales and current earnings.
- Both companies provide you with creative material. BigCommerce and Wix offer updated materials regularly and have fresh and interesting materials to share with your audience.
Read A Comprehensive List Of All Of My Favorite Affiliate Programs Here!
Should You Become a BigCommerce Affiliate?
Whether your audience is interested in creating an online business, already has an online business but is considering switching to a new platform, or is simply curious about eCommerce content, then this may be the perfect affiliate program for you.
You don’t need to be an expert marketer to become an affiliate for BigCommerce. They offer free tutorials to help individuals who are new to performance advertising achieve success. Also, you are provided with an account manager who will help you every step of the way.
However, if you are an expert marketer, then this program is also great for you. You will love BigCommerce’s amazing platform and a large inventory of promotional materials. You’ll also enjoy BigCommerce’s real-time reporting capabilities. You’ll never have to worry about not receiving credit for your referrals.
So, you don’t need to be a marketing expert to become an affiliate for BigCommerce. However, you need to have a large audience engaged with your content and who will be interested in BigCommerce’s services. If you don’t have an audience or if your audience is likely not interested in what BigCommerce has to offer, then this may not be the program for you.
Why Is the BigCommerce Affiliate Program Worth It?
The BigCommerce Affiliate Program has amazing benefits, so it is worth it to join if you have the right audience.
They offer unbeatable commissions, an amazing support system, and wonderful promotional materials. The BigCommerce team truly cares about their affiliates and will provide you with the guidance and resources you need to succeed.
Their 90-day tracking cookie helps assure that you will receive credit for all of the customers you refer to their platform. You will always know how much commission you’ve earned and how well you are doing with BigCommerce’s advanced performance tracking.
BigCommerce doesn’t put a limit on the commission you can earn. The company also doesn’t require you to make a certain amount of sales to remain an affiliate. This provides you with the freedom to make as much or as little as you choose.
If you put in the effort, this program can make you a substantial amount of supplemental income. Simply sign-up for the affiliate program, share their content on your website, and start earning today. Trust me, you will not regret it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Listed below are five additional questions you may have about the program. Keep reading to learn the answers.
How do I apply to become an affiliate?
To apply for the BigCommerce Affiliate Program, you simply fill out this form. The application process is quick and easy. It only takes two minutes to apply.
What are the requirements for becoming an affiliate?
The requirements are unclear. On their website, BigCommerce states that as long as you have an audience that may be interested in their eCommerce services, you should apply. Their team will carefully review each application and accept affiliates who meet their criteria (the exact criteria they are looking for, however, is unknown).
As far as location goes, BigCommerce accepts affiliates from all over the world.
Are affiliates paid in US currency?
All payments are automatically processed in US currency. If you would rather be paid in Sterling (GDP), Australian Dollar (AUD), or the Euro (EUR), you can change this in your account settings.
What is the payout schedule?
You receive your payments after the transactions are locked. Locked transactions refer to the amount of time that BigCommerce gives themselves to alter the transaction. During this time, it’s possible for the order to get canceled. However, once the lock date arrives, your commissions are locked in and can no longer be canceled or changed.
For paid conversions, enterprise sales, and registration, the lock date occurs two months and 15 days after the end of the month in which the sale was made.
Enterprise leads, however, are locked 15 days after the end of the month. So, you’ll earn your commission for enterprise leads more quickly.
What is their crediting policy?
BigCommerce has a last-click crediting policy. This means that the last link the customer clicked on before making a purchase is credited with the sale.
So, let’s say you have a potential referral who has clicked on multiple affiliate links before making a purchase. Whoever’s the link they clicked on last will receive a commission from their sale.
The BigCommerce Affiliate Program is truly amazing. If you are willing to put in a little bit of work, this program can make you a considerable amount of additional income.
This excellent program has several benefits, including:
- Industry-leading commissions
- An amazing support team
- Access to an affiliate dashboard that tracks your performance
- Wonderful promotional materials
- No caps on commission or minimal sales requirements
- A 90-day tracking cookie
This affiliate program is a fantastic opportunity for anyone who has an audience that may be interested in BigCommerce’s services.
The BigCommerce team is always looking out for their affiliates. They truly want every affiliate to succeed, so they provide you with the necessary tools and guidance to do so.
If you are looking for a way to make some additional income while promoting an amazing company, join the BigCommerce Affiliate Program today!
- BigCommerce: Why partner with BigCommerce?
- BigCommerce: Affiliate Marketing in 2020: What It Is and How You Can Get Started
- Similar Tech: BigCommerce vs. BOL Affiliate Program
- AFFKO: BigCommerce Affiliate Review
- AM Navigator: Locking Periods and Lock Dates in Affiliate Marketing
- Website Builder Expert: BigCommerce Pricing Review 2020
- Shopify Help Center: Frequently asked questions
- Digital Fodder: Squarespace Affiliate Program Review
- Wix: FAQ’s
- Born: Ecommerce Checkout Is Not One Size Fits All
- BigCommerce: Your choice of payment gateways
- Squarespace: Share Squarespace. Grow your business.
- DemandZen: Last Click Attribution – Everything You Need to Know